Thursday 5 February 2015

A Month of Letters...

...also known as 'LetterMo'.



I discovered LetterMo 3 years ago and immediately dived in and began writing letters. It was just the challenge I needed to get my "pile of letters to reply to" down to a manageable level! I have quite a few penpals around the world and not enough hours in my days to spend writing a decent letter to them.

What is LetterMo? It is a challenge where you send a piece of mail for 23 days in February. It was started by an American so is based on the fact that their postal system runs every day except Sunday. Why 23? There are four Sundays and one US holiday.
(I just write a letter a day for every day except Sunday.)

This year is my third attempt at the challenge...last year was a dismal failure (4 letters was all I managed due to starting a new job!) but this year I am much more organised...and determined to complete the challenge. So far I have sent 2 postcards and 3 letters :)

Who writes letters these days, you ask? LOTS of people! Just check out the site and you will find a mixture of letter writers-those who have been writing for years and those who are new to the pleasure.  I personally think that in this day and age of 'instant communication' it is so nice to think that someone has taken the time and effort to sit and write to you. It is such a personal thing to do.


And look at the wonderful mail you receive in return! I love to check my mailbox...more often than not there is a colourful envelope or postcard waiting for me. Much better than boring business letters or bills!!

Not sure who to write to or how to get started? If you don't know of anyone to send a letter to then try a penpal site (I have 'met' a few of my penpals from Global Penfriends )  or a letter-writing site like LetterMo. There are so many people keen to write to someone; it is just a matter of finding someone you think might be a match. If the thought of writing to a stranger seems a bit weird :) then think of a friend or relative who might  like to hear from you. I write to our daughter at boarding school and I know it is something for her to look forward to each week.

And hey! I'm looking for people to write to as part of my LetterMo challenge so if you would like to receive some 'snail mail' then get in touch! I can send you a postcard, a quick cheerful note or a long-winded letter! Who knows what you might receive...and that is the joy of mail!

I'd love to hear if I have inspired you to send a letter-leave me a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'd love to receive some snail mail from you! I will write to you also, as I am also participating in the Letter Challenge. I am a Penpaller, Postcrosser, & a Mom from NY. Kind regards, Theresa (bdancd02@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I have sent you an email requesting your address. I will write as soon as I receive it!

      Delete