Saturday 30 November 2013

Better late than never

Oops...time has gotten away on me this year and I suddenly realised it was December in a few days and I hadn't made a Christmas cake!   :(
Traditionally, I have always made one during Labour Weekend to give it time to 'mature'.
So, out came the recipe books (and the multitude of loose pages of recipes that I pull from magazines but never get around to putting in a folder or cookbook!)

This year I wanted to try a new recipe. I had made the same cake for about 10 years now and while the old rule of 'don't fix what ain't broke' is a good one, I decided that it was time for a change!
 
So, FINALLY, I was able to use one of those "loose pages" that I knew I had held on to for a reason    :)

 
It was an incredibly quick and easy recipe to make and this is the cake mixture ready to go in the oven.


 
A few hours later and voila! My Christmas cake is done. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

 
It's currently wrapped and being stored in the hope that even a couple of weeks may improve its flavour...time will tell. I decided to do an uniced cake this year to make it last longer...my girls like to get a piece of cake just to eat the icing! This way they will only have a piece of cake if the REALLY want fruit cake! Cunning, huh?   :)
I just put these decorations on to show what it will look like when I serve it up closer to Christmas (but I may not add the green ribbon. I was looking for my 'Xmas frill' but couldn't find it quickly)
 
So, yay...I have one Christmas task ticked off my list. And as I (belatedly) type this post (the cake was actually made 2 weeks ago!) it is now Dec 1st and I can start to decorate our house for Christmas. I love the Christmas season and having 3 girls on my side means the Christmas Grinch of our house gets outvoted on whether or not we decorate   :)
 
Do you have any traditions for Christmas? I'd love to hear about them! Or any (non-complicated!) yummy Christmas recipes? Watch out for a post on the gifts we make for the girls' teachers and friends closer to Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Of course I still read your blog! (got your letter today, THANK YOU!!!)
    I don't have any recipes to share as I use stuff from the store. Even my gingerbreadcookiedough (should I use space in there somewhere?) is from the store (and it's tasty). My favorite tradition is to DO NOTHING on xmas Eve (that's the day we celebrate xmas here) :) And eat candy. Lots and lots of candy. And plum pasteries (dough plates from the store, filled with plumsauce, put in the oven - done).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM-those plum pastries sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete